Monday, May 14, 2012

How to cope with stress



Often times after a long day of work, some of us (at least, the normal human being) are stressed, overwhelmed, angry, tired, and sometimes it leads to complaints.

Although, I fall under that "normal human beings" category, I chose not  to let stress get the best of me today. Instead of coming home and complaining to my family, I made myself strawberry lemonade, I read my favorite magazine, and I washed a few dishes while talking to my mom. 

Everyone has their own way of coping with stress, but the way I cope with it makes it easy for me to move forward and enjoy the free time I have. Imagine being free to do what I want from 6pm-11pm (bed time.) I'll take it and make the most of it! 

The list below are ways I cope with stress that can probably work for you. 

Several ways to cope with stress
  • When you leave work, don't think about work. (You're not getting paid to think about work when you're at home. So why do it voluntarily?)
  • If you can't change it, accept it. (Nobody can go back in time to change something that has already happened. If something went wrong, it's done and it's over. Deal with it and try to avoid that same mistake next time. Don't beat yourself up over it.)
  • Smile when it's over.
     
    (I know this might sound cheesy - but think of it this way: You made it through the day and you're alive! That's certainly something to smile about.)
  • Don't let people push your buttons. (That rude lady that raised her voice at you on the phone earlier? You'll never meet her - thank goodness - and you're upset over the way she talked to you? It's not your fault she's a grumpy old hag. You're wasting your precious time dwelling over that annoying phone call and she's probably sipping on a margarita on the beach.)
  • Make anticipation your friend.
    (Anticipation gives you something to look forward to. I'm anticipating Friday's concert with my friend. It gives me something to think about that's actually going to happen, as oppose to stressing over something in the moment.)
  • If you can't figure it out, ask.
    (If you can't figure out something, don't be embarrassed, ask for help! Chances are, no one is going to make fun of you for not figuring out a "simple" task. Believe it or not, some people like helping others out.)
  • Do something for yourself
    (Yes I know, you work hard and you like to please. Do something for yourself. You deserve it. If you're that stressed out, it probably means you did something for someone else. You're not living for others. Give your body a break and be kind to it by resting, eating a delicious slice of pie, or whatever you consider a good treat.)
Have a stress free day!

No comments:

Post a Comment